Steps to Overcoming Lying
1. First, read all of the following verses and write in your own words what these passages are teaching in the space provided.
2. Next, you must understand the process God uses to change you from any habit.
a. He plants the seed of His Word in your heart which teaches you what is right.
b. He uses the Word to convict you by bringing the passage to remembrance by the Holy Spirit. John 14:26
c. He corrects you as you yield to this conviction.
d. He disciplines you to righteousness (or to do the right thing) as you yield to the conviction and allow the correction to take place everyday.
Note: The above process is revealed in 2 Tim. 3:16,17 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine (Gr. = teaching), for reproof (Gr. = conviction), for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."
3. How the process works. In the next few weeks, read through these verses and your comments every morning. This action will help you to keep these truths in the forefront of your mind and heart. By remembering God’s truths on a daily basis this enables the Word to quickly and easily bring conviction before you start to lie. David said, "I will not forget Your word" (Ps 119:16). Paul the apostle also said to "Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all" (1 Tim. 4:15).
4. Pray as David did, "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips" (Psalm 141:3). If you ask God to do this He will check your heart every time you are about to lie. His still small voice inside you will guard your mouth from speaking what is false.
5. Lying is a choice and a daily battle where you will have to "speak the truth" with your neighbor (Eph. 4:15). However, the more you speak what is true the easier it will become. One day it will seem strange and foreign for you to even think about telling a lie.
Instructions: Write in your own words what these verses are saying to you.
1. Leviticus 6:2,3
2. Psalm 119:29
3. Proverbs 10:18
4. Proverbs 12:22
5. Proverbs 13:5
6. Isaiah 30:9
7. Romans 9:1
8. 2 Corinthians 11:31
9. Ephesians 4:25
10. Psalm 58:3
11. Psalm 78:36
12. Psalm 101:7
13. Proverbs 14:5
14. Proverbs 19:5
15. Proverbs 30:8
16. Isaiah 57:11
17. John 8:44
18. Acts 5:3-4
19. Titus 1:2
20. Revelation 22:14,15
This study was written by Pastor Steve Carr. If we can be of any further assistance please contact us at